To kick off their year-long 60th Anniversary Celebration, All Saints Episcopal School will host a special school-wide chapel service Friday, September 30 in Patriot Gym complete with 50’s dress (FOX NEWS STORY). The celebration will be highlighted by special music, birthday cake, and viewing the lip-sync video to Imagine Dragon’s “On Top of the World” all the students participated in last May.
The 2016-2017 school year marks All Saints Episcopal School’s 60th anniversary. The school began as St. Christopher’s in September 1956 as a preschool and eventually grew into a lower school and middle school. The high school opened four years ago in August 2012 and celebrated it first graduating class in May 2016. All Saints has experienced its largest combined enrollment in the school’s history with 488 students in attendance through all four age divisions for the current school year.
Several community leaders recognized a need for a private school emphasizing academics in Lubbock; thus, they created St. Christopher’s Preschool with 20 students enrolled in Preschool and Kindergarten. First grade was added in 1958 and the school continued to add grades until preschool through sixth grade were in place by 1963. The first sixth grade graduation was held in May 1963.
The school was called “St. Christopher’s” and was housed on St. Christopher’s Church property. Nineteen years later, in 1975, the school formed an independent board, became an independent school, and changed its name to All Saints Episcopal School. The school served students in preschool through sixth grade while still housed at St. Christopher’s Church on 42nd and Elgin.
Needing more space to accommodate the increasing enrollment, All Saints relocated in 1980 into a rented facility on Salem Avenue off of 82nd Street. The Board of Trustees broke ground in November 1983 for the construction of the present campus on 3222 103rd Street, which is on 53 acres of land donated by the Mary Ellis Key family. All Saints moved into their building in September 1984. The expanded space allowed for grades 7-9 to be added.
As the school’s enrollment grew, so did the campus. A new Middle School building was added in 1993 and Jones Gym was constructed in 1994. In 2011, the $1.2 million addition of the Patriot Learning Center was built for preschool students.
In August 2012, All Saints High School opened its doors with its first students and a 52,000 square foot high school addition and 13,000 square feet of renovations to the existing campus, which included spaces for all of the students including the high school, Fine Arts Center, administrative offices, Patriot Gym, and Kirby Commons at a cost of $11.1 million.
In its 60 years, All Saints has grown from a small preschool/kindergarten school with 20 students housed inside a church in 1956 into a 488 student campus on 53 acres for preschool through 12th grade students in 2016. The school is widely known for its academic excellence and fine arts curricula as well as its high-achieving athletic programs throughout all grade levels.
The high school was named as the number one school in Texas in 2015-2016 by the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools (TAPPS) and received the Henderson Championship Cup as the 1-A TAPPS school in Texas for the 2015-2016 school year by earning the most points through academic, athletic, and fine arts competitions. All Saints is the only private school in the Lubbock area to win the prestigious Henderson Championship Cup in recent years.
The middle school repeatedly places in the top three in the state Private Schools Interscholastic Association (PSIA) academic contest as well as wins many district athletic championships annually in the West Texas Christian Athletic Association (WTCAA).
The school’s fine arts program enjoys many top finishes in competitions for middle school and high school band, orchestra, and choir throughout the year and was especially proud of the high school theatre department for their state TAPPS One-Act Play championship last fall.
Many of the school’s popular activities began in the early years and have continued throughout the school’s tenure. The annual Veterans Day Assembly along with the beloved Hall of Presidents Assembly, Fall Festival, Thanksgiving Feast, Lessons and Carols, Civil War Assembly, and Fine Arts Night are time-honored and highly anticipated events.
Seventeen headmasters have led the school in its 60 years. The current headmaster, Dr. Mike Bennett, began his tenure in 2005 and will retire in May 2017. The Rev. Thomas Randolph Miller served as St. Christopher’s first headmaster in 1956 when the school opened in his parish.
Mrs. Wesley Steenson took over for Rev. Miller in 1957. She was followed by Virginia Wesley in 1958 and Johnnye Smith in 1959. The 1960’s were under the guidance of Mrs. Guy L. Trow in 1960, Jim Broom in 1961, Carolyn Goebel from 1962-1965, and Thomas Cannon, Jr. from 1966-1969. Rev. James F. Eubanks served for one year in 1970 and was followed by Rev. Robert Seney in 1971-1972. Rev. Kenneth Clark guided the school in 1973-1975 with Rev. Ed. Abrahamson following him in 1976-1979. Bettye Wheeler served as an Interim Headmaster in 1980. Dr. Robert W. Tobin took over as headmaster from 1981-1987. Dr. Kenneth W. Bastian led for ten years, 1988-1997. Louaddah Wagner served as the Interim Headmaster in 1998. Dr. Dana Beene served as headmaster from 1999 -2002 and was followed by Rich Webb from 2003-2004. Current headmaster Dr. Mike Bennett took over in 2005.
Last spring, the school implemented its Alumni Association. Anyone ever enrolled in All Saints is considered an alumnus and is invited to join the association by contacting the school (806-745-7701) or signing up via the school website www.allsaintsschool.org.
All Saints is open to all faiths with a focus on educational excellence. The foundation of an All Saints education is based on academics, fine arts, athletics, spiritual development and service to others. All Saints is accredited by the Southwest Association of Episcopal Schools and the Texas Education Agency. No more than 16 students per teacher can be enrolled in a classroom. Open enrollment is underway for preschool (3 year-old) through 12th grade. Parents may contact the school office (806-745-7701) at any time for more information.